Stuck in the lockdown, parents working from home, kids indulge in binge watching exciting YouTube videos. This is a sheer nightmare for parents when they are busy with their work, they have to keep an eye on what their Kids up to and what they are watching in YouTube. YouTube is undoubtedly the most popular video-sharing and publishing site, but it has many millions of videos. Its not your standard Television, but there are certain things that you can do to control the videos viewed, to keep your kids away from unwanted videos -YouTube Parental Controls.
Here are some parental controls prescribed by Google that you can configure for YouTube.
There is an existing parental control offering by YouTube called Restricted Mode. In this, YouTube search results are filtered so that the mature content is omitted or removed. Even all the content flagged as inappropriate by the YouTube community are also weeded out, to prevent your child from viewing it. Restricted mode is meant to restrict mature content or to be more specific content of an explicit nature, to disallow kids from viewing it. But, it’s not always effective and even YouTube is not guaranteeing its fool-proof effectiveness.
Check out how to enable YouTube Restricted Mode on your PC or Laptop:
- Firstly, Login to your YouTube account and go to home screen
- In the upper right corner of the screen, where you see your profile pic (or a blank face if you did not add a pic), click on it.
- Look for Restricted Mode at the bottom of the menu and click on it.
- Now, it is in Off mode, click the slider and move it to On mode, which says ACTIVATE RESTRICTED MODE
Next-step also click Lock Restricted Mode on this browser, and this sets the security mode, preventing your kids from turning the safety mode off.
Set YouTube Safety Mode on your Mobile
Just as for your laptop or PC, this feature is available on your mobile phones too. In the YouTube mobile app, go to settings, and check for Restricted mode option. You can also lock the feature, just like you did on your PC or Laptop. Check out the steps to enable the Safety Mode on your Mobile:
- Firstly, tap your YouTube mobile app icon in your mobile, and sign-in to your account if you have not already signed in.
- At the top right corner, tap your profile picture or blank face pic.
- Tap settings
- Choose Restricted Mode Filtering. Move the slide next to Restricted Mode. This sets the feature and it becomes active.
- Close the screen, to open the app again to confirm the change in settings.
Though YouTube Parental Controls is not 100% effective, it does help in weeding out some of the unwanted videos and keep it from reaching your children’s eyes.