WhatsApp is by far the most popular instant messaging platform, by a huge margin. It has been reigning supreme for quite some time. Since its launch, somehow, people very easily connected with the app and now it has become impossible to think of any other app to use for messaging. Now, with the use of the app, there also arises some eventualities the users might have to encounter. There are some questions any user might have. What if you need to change WhatsApp phone number, for whatever reason? What will happen to the WhatsApp account with the old phone number? Will the account be lost? What happens to the WhatsApp groups you are already part of? If you are concerned about these questions, WhatsApp has quite some easy solutions to them.
If you would like to change WhatsApp phone number, the messaging platform has an inbuilt feature to help you out, in just few steps. The same feature also informs your contacts that your number has changed and also, they can save the new number to connect with the user. What is amazing is that the group admins do not have to add the user again as WhatsApp automatically changes your mobile number in the groups.
So, here is how you can change WhatsApp phone number to a new or different number:
Steps to change your WhatsApp number
Though the new number will be notified to your contacts by the WhatsApp system, your contacts should still have to save your phone number in their smartphone to know your contact name.
(Video Credits: WhatsApp)
Here are the steps:
- Put your new SIM card in the smartphone in which your WhatsApp is running with your old mobile number.
- When you see the signal sticks, tap on the WhatsApp app.
- Next, look for the three dots on the top right corner of the app interface and then tap on Settings.
- Go to ‘Account’ and choose the ‘Change number’ option.
- You will be directed to a new screen, tap in your old phone number and then the new phone number. Tap on the Next button.
- In the next step, the system will ask you, the contacts you would like to notify regarding the change in WhatsApp phone number. You can choose one from ‘All Contacts’, ‘Contacts I have chats with’ or ‘Custom’.
- After you tap on your option, WhatsApp will then move on to the next step by notifying the contacts (based on the option you have selected in the previous step) you wish to inform about your WhatsApp phone number change.
- Whatever groups you were part of when you were using your previous number will also be notified about the change and the group will automatically be updated with your new number, also deleting your old number from the group.
So, that’s how easy it for you to change your WhatsApp phone number.